Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Hospital Visits and Outings

I have a confession to make: the past 3 weeks have been very, very challenging for me. I also really hate to complain: Dad's prognosis is very good with the shiny, new liver that is still working well, Dad seems to have overcome ARDS, and Dad is still Hepatitis C-free.  I tend to be more optimistic than my father, however, going through all of the challenges since Dad had his transplant have taken a toll on me.

Thankfully, I had my husband and a few family members out here for a bit of the past couple of weeks. Unfortunately, my husband went home last week and the rest of the family will be leaving soon. Like so many things, I take for granted how nice it is to have people around and am starting to get anxious about being alone with Dad once again in a couple of days. It makes me realize how tough Dad has had it while waiting for the liver transplant alone in a hotel room in Indianapolis while feeling sick and now having only a very short visit while actually conscious with anyone other than me. Again, how can I really complain?

Thankfully, I have had some moments that have provided some emotional relief for myself. I have been able to get a little gym and yoga time in lately and went out to a few restaurants for dinner the past week or so. Today, a few of us took Dad outdoors to get a break from the hospital room for a break and the weather was fabulous. To sit outdoors for a few minutes and enjoy the sunshine was great. We even snapped a few photos to mark the milestone:

Dad showing-off his adorable outfit







I will take these moments as opportunities to take a step back an try to be thankful for what we have. Instead of focusing on how tough the past few weeks have been, I would like to remember that there will be many sunny days to celebrate ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment