Pages

Monday, April 9, 2012

April 09, 2012

This morning was a normal Monday morning as far as I knew. I got up (late), drove to work with my husband, and set-up at work for the week ahead. That changed when I received a call around10:30am from Mom in a panic that she could not locate Dad. I'll save the details for later, but I was able to eventually figure-out that Dad had his transplant this morning.

YES. Dad had his transplant this morning!!!!

I am currently sitting with him in TICU (Transplant ICU) in Indiana. Pretty strange to be typing that after everything we have hoped for the past several months years. From what I have learned in talking to a couple of his surgeons today and his current nurse, everything went well. He has been slowly waking up right around when I walked into this room (~9pm tonight), but has a while to go. I even saw him looking me with open eyes and give me his frustrated look that he typically gives and pulled on his restraints, so I know he's coming around and it's great to see.

More updates to come, but had to share the good news. There are still a lot of hurdles to overcome, but the ridiculous wait for a new liver is over. Someone donated a liver last night that replaced my father's original liver--that his doctor here said looked 'like Afghanistan'. I am thankful for so many things right now, even though I am also very aware that my father has a lot to recover from and we don't know how that liver will ultimately 'take' in it's new home. I do know that Dad made it through of a lot of critical points so far in this process, including the surgery and the first 12 hours or so after.

It may finally be time to start changing the meaning of 'my mazel' in this family today.

Our mazel!

No comments:

Post a Comment