Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Live IU Transplant Twittercast

"An organ donation is really helping TWO people: the recipient, and the next person on the waiting list." -Dr. Goggins

About three weeks ago, IU performed a living kidney transplant. Of course, this is a wonderful thing, but in itself isn't particularly newsworthy. However, they decided to do this transplant involving two living (friends) patients--a kidney donor and a kidney recipient--live. Not on live television, but on social media via Twitter. This is called a 'twittercast' for those who aren't up-to-date with social media terminology. 


http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-live-tweeting-kidney-transplant-20120613,0,4934514.story

I happen to follow IU Transplant's Facebook page (the topic of Facebook returns! it is not always such a bad thing, right?), so I saw the announcement earlier in the morning and tuned-into part of the twittercast. It was an incredible thing to watch unfold. It's surreal to see a tweet about transplant surgery (with attached pictures at times!) and watch as people around the country respond. I was skeptical at first, but I really think it attempted to bridge the gap for awareness about organ donation.


Would I want one of my loved one's to be on a live broadcast this way? Honestly, no. I am way too concerned about all of the potential complications and would never want that exposure. Do I think it was a good idea? Yes. I wasn't so sure at first, but it was incredible to watch. I learned about kidney transplant as they went through each major surgical step in each of the operating suites. I heard various facts about organ donation in this country, including the tens of thousands of people waiting every day, just like my father was up until April 9th, 2012. 

I found the story that was receiving coverage to be very personal and touching. Organ donation probably sounds like something great to so many people, but without a personal connection like I have or hearing a detailed story like this, how can people really understand what organ donation is all about? Perhaps it's really as simple of utilizing social media to try to reach as many people as possible about some of these stories--even if it is a short YouTube video:


This post-surgery video combined with the other videos and the twittercast gives me goosebumps! I'm sure it is partly because I practically lived in the same floor of the same hospital for several weeks after my father underwent a life-saving organ transplant. I also feel emotional watching because I am human and can appreciate that someone was just given the gift of life. Interesting use of Twitter, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment