Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pause

I certainly do a lot of kvetching. Well, I did title my blog as a fair warning to readers. But, yes, a lot of complaining still. I realize that.

Tonight I left my apartment and noticed a strong smoke smell as soon as I shut my door. My first instinct was that a unit in my building was on fire--that smell was so strong in the hallway with 3 doors and a flight of stairs between me and the street that I assumed it had to be my building. I practically ran outside with my heart racing. I started thinking about where important documents and what treasured items I would take out of the house if I had to run back in to take anything out. As soon as I went through the final door to the street, it was obvious there was a terrible fire brewing--and it was not my building.

A fire is currently still blazing around the corner from my house. It started over three hours ago and there were flames coming out of the building when I first saw it about an hour after Hoboken Police Department was already on the scene. It was such a gut-wrenching site--I stared in shock for a solid 5 minutes. There were 5 fire trucks on the scene and another fire truck was driving down the street from Elizabeth (a town that's really not that close in fire terms) once I started walking away. There were dozens of shocked people staring like me at the horrific site. The smoke burned my nostrils and eyes and I was a block away.

http://hoboken.patch.com/articles/building-evacuated-after-three-alarm-fire-on-washington-street#photo-9149561


I can't even imagine what people that live there must be going through right now. As far as I know, every resident escaped without major injuries, however I keep checking the various local blogs and online news outlets to get updates to be sure. Several residents of the building had to go to the roof and were trapped on neighboring roofs until they were rescued via ladders. There's even a story that someone was looking for their 2 cats that were left behind in the building.

I am currently taking a pause from my own kvetching to think about all of those affected by the fire still burning in my neighborhood. There are so many police and fire professionals on the scene fighting this horrendous situation that I am thinking of their safety while they do their brave jobs. I have been thinking about an entire building full of lives and memories that have been devastated tonight. I encourage each of you to remember all of the things in your life that you are truly thankful for, even if you are feeling that your life isn't fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment